Original LHD by H.J.Mulliner
1 of 75 Manufactured
The launch of the Silver Cloud II saw Rolls-Royce took a very significant step forward in the performance stakes. This newly developed V8 engine, constructed mainly in aluminium and featuring hydraulic tappets to ensure quiet running, produced nearly 25% more power than the motor it replaced.
In the Rolls-Royce Silver Cloud II was an engine capable of long distance touring at far higher cruising speeds than had ever been available before. At the time of its launch, the Rolls-Royce Silver Cloud II was the same price as a house in London’s Mayfair.
The vast majority of cars produced between late 1959 and early 1962 were the factory design, universally referred to as the Standard Steel Saloon. A very limited number of cars however were modified at the Chiswick works of HJ Mulliner to Design Number 7504. Retaining the basic line of the coachwork in the form of an exceedingly elegant drophead coupe. Correctly termed “Adaptation By HJ Mulliner” these highly exclusive cars are not to be confused with examples that have more recently been converted.
This example is one of only 75 original Left Hand Drive Adaptations by HJ Mulliner to leave the Chiswick works and surely one of the rarest post-war Rolls-Royce automobiles to be produced.